Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Cheese-y Thank Yous...and a few bumps

We got our first care package from the Taylors yesterday. A box of 3 varieties of Cheetos! The kids were beside themselves and are excited to pick out their favorite:

(I was trying to upload a video thank you but it hasn't worked yet..will try another day.)


So, we're less just under 2 weeks in and I think we're starting to hit our first bumps in the road (aside from the car fan belt...oops, forgot to post on that one! long story short - a piece of the fan belt came off while driving the other day. Fortunately the whole thing didn't break and it was fixed the next day. i'm sure our car saga is not over though....)

Anyway, a few things have taken a bit of wind out of our "honeymoon stage" sails. Nothing major, but not everything is perfect ;)

-Both kids have little colds. Livi has been much more tempermental than usual these past few days. It could still be jet lag, the cold, or most likely a combo of all! Oscar has been a little off too so I'm sure they're both still adjusting, and the runny noses aren't helping.

-We took an outing to the local expat grocery store (for some very expensive ice cream) and within 2 min in the car Oscar wanted to go home and said he was tired. We stuck it out (it was 5 min from the house and I needed an outing) but I had to give him my scented hand sanitizer to hold and sniff...the grocery store actually doesn't smell bad at all, but does have some strong scents that seem to bother his nose. Thank you Bath and Body Works travel-sized-heavily-scented-sanitizers-with-carrying-case! :)
I don't think he's ready for an outdoor market yet...

-We're working out some kinks with our housekeeper and scheduling...I'm so not used to this kind of situation and we're still trying to figure out what exactly we need. Wish me luck...

On the plus side: Thanks to the consulate, we have had internet since we arrived. However, the connection wasn't secure and no one could figure out the general password to set the personal password (one of those things you don't ask). We finally got our act together and put in the proper request yesterday. Since then, we've had 4 phone calls, 2 house calls, and a follow-up phone call to get to the bottom of things and we now have our password protected network. Puts NJ cumstomer service to shame!!

Next up...getting our cable connected! If all goes well it will be sooner rather than later (it's taken me this long to even look up plan options) and we will have CNN, Disney, and Bollywood to enjoy! Now we just need our stuff to arrive with our big TV - well, big for us :) Speaking of stuff, as of now our small shipment should come in next week and the stuff from NJ at the end of the month. It will be like Christmas since I have very little memory of what we packed back in March in Hoboken!

No comments:

Post a Comment