Our European adventure had come to an end, and while Oscar unfortunately had to head back to India in early June, the kids and I headed off to Buffalo for another month. The plane ride was pretty decent, but we had enough of a delay in Newark that we were in minor shambles once we arrived. The kids did their best to tear up the waiting area of our delayed flight and at one point I ordered them to sit down against a wall and not to move while I tried to remember someone's phone number in the U.S to call if we got stuck overnight in Newark. (I must've sounded pretty serious about it too since they actually did it. I also realized my rookie mistake of not carrying more that one phone number with me!) I'm pretty sure I yelled at a gate agent in Buffalo for not helping after I had to carry 2 exhausted kids and a suitcase up a flight of stairs. From my perspective, it was warranted, but it's all a bit hazy after 15 or so hours of travel.... Thankfully, alls well that ends well and travelling west is amazingly easier to adjust to than travelling east, and we settled in pretty quickly.
| Gus held center stage in Buffalo |
Once we went back to the states (and Europe too) we noticed all those creature comforts we didn't even realize we were missing. Walking anywhere, not sweating, the kids being able to ride bikes, being able to drive, the variety of food available at the grocery store. The little things that really aren't necessary, but make you feel at home. It's wonderful to see family that can't travel halfway across the world to see you and reconnect with friends. Not to mention all the cheese.... It's not like we're uncomfortable in India, we're just kind of out of our comfort zone. Our perceptive little Oscar noticed it, and announced he wants our next tour to be in North America (I love that he said it that way)...He's honestly happy wherever we are, but definitely appreciated his time in the States!
Now, I recognize that there are some not so awesome things about the U.S. (the "sparkling" personalities of numerous people in the Newark airport comes to mind....) However, you can blissfully ignore those things on R&R and bask in the glory that is american consumerism...from gorging yourself on awesome chicken wings to wandering the aisles of Target. But I digress! This was supposed to be a post about Buffalo! Hmmm, that will come next...
Here's a few photos since we've returned. We came back at the tail end of mango season, and little Oscar is thrilled. As the fabulous big brother that he is, he even got Livi to try one and she loves them now too!
And what's better than cake? Naked cake! Oscar is enjoying Ganthi's lemon cake, his favorite here. Livi is eating the frosting off a chocolate cake.
Next up, a plethora of photos from Buffalo! I promise.
No comments:
Post a Comment