Saturday, April 25, 2015

Homeschooling

I did my best to track our homeschooling in a separate blog that was more for my own records that anything else. While I still keep detailed records in an excel file (in case someone, somewhere is ever wondering what we did this year) I've failed in keeping our weekly blog up to date! So I'm merging the two blogs and will post here for the rest of the school year  (1 more month!?). Here's the link to where I was posting throughout the year:


And here's what we've been up to recently! I don't take pictures of everything we do, but try to track the fun experiments and more camera-friendly doings.

balloon rocket on a string - learning about motion and force
Exploring chemical changes with Mentos and Coke…he was very ready for this one! 
We were both impressed…as you can hear on the video. We think the Coke shot up at least 20 feet!


fun with oobleck…tried into learning about matter
of course we brought Livi in for this one
Oscar had a great time during his weekly classes at Big Easy. Last week was his last class and he'll miss coach Josh!  I'll miss my Wednesday mornings of wandering around on my own, but will try to meet up with one of his buddies from the class for field trips instead.

In science we've pretty much covered the topics for 3rd grade, so we're doing some more work with the scientific method and experiments. After a few spills and miscalculations, I've provided an excellent model for the importance of reading directions and how you can learn from your mistakes! Honestly, I just have fun making a mess sometimes :)

In social studies, Oscar worked on a biography project about a person in history of his choosing. He picked Albert Einstein and we both learned what an amazing person he was, and how he loved ice cream but hated socks. I also learned that the theory of relativity still blows my mind!

The finished project - the drawing is of Einstein carrying an ice cream cone!
This past week we took advantage of resident free Wednesdays at the New Orleans Museum of Art and spent a little time wandering through the halls. I wouldn't say that art is Oscar's favorite thing, but he did enjoy the gold log cabin depicting how America was built and a little golden crocodile sculpture from Africa. We also met up with his homeschool buddy Wyatt at the playground nearby, and had beignets at Morning Call of course!

We've finished his math curriculum as well, but are spending the last month reviewing, especially multiplication facts. Here we played a game with dice to review perimeter - he won by creating a figure with a larger perimeter than I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment