As I'm sure many of your have heard, the newest saga in Oscar's life is his dislike of school. Here's the sum up of our school roller coaster to date:
-Back in Sept I was anticipating a really hard transition. He had about a week of really difficult goodbyes and then seemed to settle into things. It seemed like first he resolved himself to go, and then really started to enjoy it.
-He has never peed or pooped at school. He says the bathroom is too loud and he only wants to go at home. He will pee in public places with family but only poops at home. Up until recently he has managed to hold it in all day.
-He has never peed or pooped at school. He says the bathroom is too loud and he only wants to go at home. He will pee in public places with family but only poops at home. Up until recently he has managed to hold it in all day.
-A few weeks before Christmas he had to poop at school and had a really rough day because he refused to go. I think I teacher tried to get him to go by putting him on the toilet this did not go over well.
-Since that incident he hasn't wanted to go to school at all. 2 times he cried so much they had me come get him since they thought he was sick. He also hid a few times when it was time to go. We rode it out up until Christmas vacation and hoped that after the new year he'd be back to himself.
(sidenote, olivia is now asleep. phew. one down, the other one making train sounds...)
-So, we sent him to school yesterday and it didn't go so well. He got tears in his eyes thinking about having to go the night before and cried intermittently throughout the day while at school - and he only stayed until 12. Today he cried as soon as we started getting ready and didn't stop until after I left. I spent the whole morning waiting for the phone to ring and wondering if he miserable. Turns out it was "a good day!" - his own words. So there I was ready to throw the towel in and his teachers think we should try a whole day again...I'm not sure about that one but I am ready again to finish out the week.
Such turmoil! I know kids go through adjustment periods, but he's such a sensitive soul and only 3. Plus, his adjustment should be over...I think the poop incident set him off, but I also think overall he's just decided it's more fun to be at home than at school - I never realized how cool I was :) So, I'm still on the fence. Earlier today I was ready to keep him home for a few months and try again in the spring. Now I'm ready to at least give the next few weeks a go. Essentially, I don't want to send him if he's miserable, but I also don't want to take him out if he really enjoys himself and just is going through a rough patch. He brings home songs and sayings from school, and talks about his friends at school too. Any advice? :)
No comments:
Post a Comment