I'd toyed with the idea of getting LASIK for years, but it wasn't until I saw 3 successful outcomes here that I decided it was to jump on the band wagon. After a few weeks wearing my glasses, and several terrifying minutes in the operating room I now have 20/20 vision. I won't go too far into the details, since some of you out there may be considering the procedure for yourself and would prefer to have less information. For the others, there's plenty of photos, descriptions, and videos out there on the web to peruse.
Getting ready for the procedure, you have to wear your glasses for a few weeks. While I never liked wearing glasses, it was more fun than usual since I would (hopefully) not be needing them soon! I discovered that big earrings and headbands are hard to pull off with dark rimmed glasses, and how much I depend on sunglasses here. To lesson my inherent fears about someone manipulating my eye, I told myself that if I couldn't see out of first eye, I wouldn't let them do the second. I had a few moments of panic when the daily power cut happened right before going into the procedure room. Then I remembered that the doctor had already discussed this and the generator would be running. As a fail safe, she said that if the machine cut out for any reason, it would start up exactly where it had left off...I decided not to dwell on that one. Once we got started I think it took about 15 minutes. I chatted throughout much of the procedure, mainly out of nerves and NOT when the laser was in action. There's a certain amount of terror that keeps you paralyzed as a laser reshapes your cornea! I did have to keep asking what was going to happen, and thankfully they humored me step-by-step.
Afterward my vision was there (phew!) but very fuzzy from the drops. I felt totally fine right after, but by the time we got home I was soooo "uncomfortable." Needless to say Oscar had the day off to help out and I holed up in the bedroom trying to distract myself from the "discomfort" in my eyes. (I keep putting this in quotes since it's not quite the right descriptor, but I can't come up with a better one.) My trick was to keep visualizing my toes, the farthest part of my body from my eyes! After a few hours I fell asleep and woke up a new woman.The biggest challenge? Staying out of the pool for the first 2 weeks after having it done! Thankfully that's done, although now the pool is more like a large bathtub.
Getting ready for the procedure, you have to wear your glasses for a few weeks. While I never liked wearing glasses, it was more fun than usual since I would (hopefully) not be needing them soon! I discovered that big earrings and headbands are hard to pull off with dark rimmed glasses, and how much I depend on sunglasses here. To lesson my inherent fears about someone manipulating my eye, I told myself that if I couldn't see out of first eye, I wouldn't let them do the second. I had a few moments of panic when the daily power cut happened right before going into the procedure room. Then I remembered that the doctor had already discussed this and the generator would be running. As a fail safe, she said that if the machine cut out for any reason, it would start up exactly where it had left off...I decided not to dwell on that one. Once we got started I think it took about 15 minutes. I chatted throughout much of the procedure, mainly out of nerves and NOT when the laser was in action. There's a certain amount of terror that keeps you paralyzed as a laser reshapes your cornea! I did have to keep asking what was going to happen, and thankfully they humored me step-by-step.
Afterward my vision was there (phew!) but very fuzzy from the drops. I felt totally fine right after, but by the time we got home I was soooo "uncomfortable." Needless to say Oscar had the day off to help out and I holed up in the bedroom trying to distract myself from the "discomfort" in my eyes. (I keep putting this in quotes since it's not quite the right descriptor, but I can't come up with a better one.) My trick was to keep visualizing my toes, the farthest part of my body from my eyes! After a few hours I fell asleep and woke up a new woman.The biggest challenge? Staying out of the pool for the first 2 weeks after having it done! Thankfully that's done, although now the pool is more like a large bathtub.
No comments:
Post a Comment