And then there was 1...well, 2 if you count the baby thought brought me here! When Daria left I was on my own, and started up teleworking the next day. It's been awesome that my office has let me work while I'm here, since its kept me busy during the time I've been on my own and it's always good to be making money (especially since London is not cheap). It's been a win-win too, since while they have someone to cover my work during my maternity leave, she was actually out all of April so it worked perfectly into my medevac schedule.
I've gone into the Embassy a few times a week to use the computer there (which was faster) and touch base with the CLO office and Med office. The Embassy is actually moving locations next year, which is a little sad since the ability to walk there was here was a huge bonus for me…Granted, it probably won't affect me since I'm not seeing us in the situation again! :) Wednesday is my last day "at the office" and I'm hoping the baby hold off a few more days so mom and I can see just a bit of London together before he arrives!
Aside from work, I haven't been up to much over the past few weeks, and have been lying relatively low to ensure that this baby doesn't arrive before mom gets here (1 more day)! I've mainly been walking around the neighborhood, going to doctor's appointments, and grocery shopping (which I do every few days since it's only a few blocks away and I carry everything I buy). My doctor's office is about a mile away from the apartment in St. John's Wood, and earlier in April I enjoyed walking back and forth through the neighborhoods. But after a few weeks of that my Braxton Hicks started kicking in a bit, and I decided that maybe the tube was a better option. Being in London has reminded me how nice it is to be somewhere where you can get around easily by walking and public transportation. Our house in New Orleans had that, and if we ever get posted in DC Old Town will be like that as well. I'm not sure if we'll ever be posted somewhere with those kinds of neighborhoods overseas, since our options seem to be less-Europeanesque but you never know!
I found my rain boots in the closet yesterday, and realized this spring has been pretty awesome in terms of weather too. It's been chilly, but nothing a scarf and jacket can't remedy and actually perfect walking weather (esp. when you're pregnant). While there has been some rain, it's been surprisingly sunny most of the time. I have gotten into the London habit of bringing my umbrella everywhere I go though….a sunny day can quickly turn into a quick shower, followed by more sun a few minutes later.
Last week a friend of mine from college posted on FB that she was on her way to London for work, so I reached out and we grabbed dinner one night in Covent Gardens. It was a part of the city I hadn't made it to yet, but had been wanting to explore. Lots of the area is just shopping (mostly chains we also have in the US), but it's also the theater district so packed with restaurants and pubs as well. We caught up over a glass of wine at 10 cases, followed by some amazing tapas at Barrafina right near the Royal Opera House.
 |
| Over 10 years since we last saw each other! |
I also just met up with a few of the other medevac'd ladies hanging out in the neighborhood. Both of them have already had their babies and have toddlers with them, which makes me miss the family even more. But now that I'm in the homestretch I know I can do it. Those first few weeks in April were looking bleak with 4 weeks ahead of me on my own, but knowing they'll be here now in less than 2 weeks, and mom is only a few days away there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
We've had a few lunches together, and yesterday headed to the Little Venice Canal Festival. It was a crazy and crowded little festival, but yet another area I hadn't seen yet so fun to explore. I was also happy to not be handling a toddler through the crowds! The neighborhood was beautiful as well. Apparently a lot of famous people live in the area, but we didn't see any.
I found myself going through old photos the other day, and realized how few I have of my belly this time around. So here's a little compilation of the belly pics I do have. Some of them you can't really see the belly, but just show all the places this boy has been before he's even entered the world…
No comments:
Post a Comment