Sunday, September 28, 2014

Dancing Queen

Livi has not wanted to take dance class in the past, simply stating that she already knows how to dance. While I couldn't argue with that, I did think she'd enjoy it if she tried it, so I peaked her interest with tap shoes. She was sold after trying them on and we signed her up for a  combo ballet/tap class at a small studio that a few friends have recommended for their less-than-drill-sergeant approach to ballet. Livi was very excited to get her tap shoes and spent some time trying them out (and her outfits) before she went to her first class.


Livi's first tap dance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4cYabmIHDw

And after an outfit change
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-mM49ZcVkE

getting ready for her dance class
Getting ready for her first class, Livi was surprisingly nervous. We kept talking about how it was OK to be nervous, but there would be other kids who hadn't danced before and she would have lots of fun, but she was still hesitant when we got there…until she saw all the little girls in their leotards and skirts! If she hadn't been so eager to join the circle of smiling 5 year old girls, she would've shoved us out the door.

You unfortunately can't sit and watch the kids dance for her class since the space is so small, but you can peak through the window and catch a glimpse. She was so focused and determined. You could see the joy on her face on getting the steps right, and she kept giggling and waving when she saw us in the window. We decided to head out for a bit so we would stop being a distraction but I can't wait for their performance!

Last week she was getting ready for class, and I heard her say to herself "I'm amazing." No exclamation, no question, she just said it. At first I thought she was getting nervous again and giving herself a little pep talk, but when I saw the sweet smile on her face I think she was simply stating how she felt. Keep that thought my baby! You truly are.

No comments:

Post a Comment