Saturday, January 21, 2012

Back to the Future

No, we haven't discovered a functional flux-capacitor in our Ford Ikon. We just always seem to be thinking about the future! This lifestyle keeps you wondering what's coming next.

Even though we're here for another 1.5 years we have a weekly discussion about our future plans. Our bidding starts either in May or August (thereabouts) depending on what we decide is our next step, which lends itself to another weekly discussion. Some people we know are bidding now, so we inevitably play the vicarious-bidding game through them.

I've also come to the realization that a lot of the people I hang out with here are leaving over the next 6 months. The first one leaves in the beginning of May and the exodus continues through the summer. This of course means that for every person that leaves, another one comes to post. Since the kids and I will be travelling to the States this summer, we could return to a very different Chennai!

I've seen the list of people coming in, and while a few families have young kids, there are many more singles and families with older children, which marks another change. Not to mention that I'm actually applying for a job at the consulate. If the full-time one doesn't work out, I will probably try for a part-time one regardless. Either way, more change! So, while I was anticipating having one major transition every 2 years, I now understand that there is constant transition and change.

It's frustrating. We hear all these great places people are going, but the places they're going are not going to be on our "realistic" list.

It's sad. I really have some great friends here and a lot of them will be moving away.

It's a lot of fun. I love the possibility and potential.

It's life! Honestly, we love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment