Monday, January 30, 2012

Alright. I'll say it. A/C is not essential.

Brakes are.

I've had reservations about our lovely car since arrival. Not fancy, not new, but working. We had a bunch of random issues and got them fixed. Then it started overheating. We got it fixed. It started overheating again. We're not completely sure what the problem is this time around, but the cost to potentially fix it is more than the value of the car. Finally, Oscar we decided to face the music and look into getting a new car. Not the most straight forward thing in this part of the world but long story short, we do have car lined up...for June. AOK. We just switch off AC when it starts overheating and open the windows. Problem solved. It is winter after all. You really only sweat when you're in the sun....
Until today. First of all, no one is hurt, no accidents occurred, and really nothing actually happened. BUT, our brakes did stop working on the way to pick up Oscar from school.

Livi was thankfully home with Dada (who was feeling under the weather and home for the afternoon). Mama was on her way from the tasty bread store to school, with real cheddar cheese no less! Smiles all around. Until the driver pulls over after crossing the "bridge" (that is the width of the car and doesn't have guard rails) over the "river" (use your imagination on that one). We're probably just overheating. Nope, gauge is relatively mid-line.

Me: whats wrong?
Govind: no brakes mam.

Wait, what?

He goes out to inspect and comes back to explain that the brake fluid is low and we just need to drive to a store that sells the fluid to refill it and it should be fine. We'll just "go slow." OK, sure. I can roll with this one. Our drive along small narrow streets going very slowly fails to provide us with brake fluid and the fast busy street lies ahead. Here is where I start to wonder what "no brakes" really means. I try to ask the simplest questions possible. Not because our driver doesn't speak very good english, but because car talk is a different language to me. I hear "there's a lot of play" and "it's ok as long as a I press them a few times and then they work." At one point he says "see, no brakes" and I assume he's trying to use them but the car is clearly not stopping. After a few frantic phone calls, an alternative ride set up for Oscar and a few considerations to get out of the car and grab a taxi, we thankfully find a store that sells brake fluid. About a dollar later and we're on our way. End of story? Not quite...Now only one set of brakes is working properly so when we brake the car is veering towards the right. At this point I'm done and we are actually a few minutes from the school. Tapping on brakes and veering to the right, we manage to stop at the school. Govind says it's fine to get Oscar and drive home together. I don't have his calm optimistic outlook. I sprint out of the car and tell Govind to be safe, try and get home, but if at any point he doesn't feel comfortable driving the car to stop and call us. Phew.

Long story short we get a ride home (thanks Kala!) and Govind arrives home "very carefully." The mechanic makes a house call and diagnoses a broken brake fluid hose. Go figure. In theory all should be fine. Aside from all the previous issues. Oh, and the overheating. But I've decided AC really isn't essential after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment