Thursday, November 3, 2011

Happy Halloween

One thing I've realized about living abroad in such a different culture from our own is that holidays are different. You see what's going on with the local holidays, get caught up in the fesitivities, and learn about the basics. But an American holidays rolls around and you just want to sink your teeth into it! :) Halloween was our first one and we played our part in helping to make some people wonder if Americans are a little off....

Our decorations that filled our tiny 2 BR in Hoboken, barely filled a corner in our old house, but still made enough of an impression to make it feel a little like Halloween. Livi dressed up in her princess dress on a daily basis for the 2 weeks leading up to it. Oscar followed suit from time to time in his Spiderman. Thankfully neither of them tired of their costumes and happily donned them for Saturday nights trick-or-treating around the consulate houses and the Halloween party that followed. Then again for Oscar's school party and one more round of trick or treating at the consulate. Oscar and I were mummies, care of a box of kerlex I ordered. They took a little bit longer than I'd planned, but I was pretty happy with the effect. Next year we're going all out and I'm aiming for a family theme....if the kids cooperate of course.
princess Livi, but who needs Halloween for that?

all decked out for trick-or-treating and Halloween party for consulate

Oz hanging with the girls in his class for Halloween, note that Indian, US, Korea and France and all represented here.
Livi peacefully napping while all the kids ran around her
Oscar's class
I also channeled my creative side this Halloween: sewing costumes for me and Oscar, baking Halloween treats, and organizing crafts/games for Oscar's class. I was a little bit proud of myself so pardon me while I share pics of the goodies...
spide ring cookies, with our dining table setup in background
part of the cupcake graveyard
I don't have any pics from the consulate trick-or-treating, which is probably just as well. The princess and Spiderman were in attendance, but Oscar fell asleep on the way there from school so was a little out of sorts initially. He recovered nicely and even made it into 2 haunted rooms (Livi was having none of those). Livi fell apart from the overstimulation and while she did get into the spirit of getting candy, I carried her the whole way time and it was not a tearless event. Alls well hat end well though and everyone slept very well Monday night, once the sugar burned off....

Next up, Thanksgiving! Glad I shipped my canned pumpkin and jellied cranberry sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment